Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fall 2010 Blog 1

2 Things I've Learned in Completing the Wiki Assignment
  • It's really easy to create your own wiki. Prior to working on the assignment, it sounded like it would be a lot of work to put together a website all about our PDS. The first thought that comes to mind when I hear wiki is Wikipedia which is much more complex than what we created. By splitting the work between my partner and I, it was really easy to get everything on the website and make it look presentable.
  • Group work doesn't have to be a pain. Usually it's really difficult to work in groups due to clashing personalities, ideas, and work ethics. By using this website, we were able to work on our wiki as we had time. We didn't have to meet every evening and spend hours in the library arguing over who was doing what. We split the work evenly and each did our own part.

I think that the most interesting parts of our wiki include the history of University High School and the UHS community. These two pages mostly have fun facts about the school itself as well as the Morgantown area.


You can find my wiki at: http://uhswiki.pbworks.com/

3 comments:

  1. Carrie-
    I agree with you comment on group work. The wiki allowed us to work together on a project, learn about our community and each other.

    I enjoyed learning the history and community of UHS through my personal research, and that done by my peers.

    I also agree on your comment about the fun facts under your history and about Morgantown. It is always insightful to learn about were your are, and were it came from. I also like the UHS community, it is nice to see who involved people are in the school and how the school supports the community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie,

    I don't have access to your wiki, would you give me permission so I can check it out? However, I do agree with you about the accessibility of the Wikis. They are very easy to create and surprisingly enjoyable. Like you, I enjoyed writing/learning about the history of my PDS. I'm glad you and your partner worked well together. Some groups WERE spending hours upon hours in the library just deciding who was doing what.

    In a way, I wish we started these wikis when we first entered the school, and possibly elaborated on them this semester. That being said, I know some of our classmates did have to change schools. The wikis could be a great site to store our information on collectively, in a way like the LiveText.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your Wiki. The information about Morgantown was quite interesting, along with your involvement at UHS.

    ReplyDelete