I have a lot of mixed feelings about the Practicum Plan, so I'll go though both positives and negatives to try to convey all of my thoughts about it.
To begin with, Positives:
-I am a very forgetful person. Even if I write everything down in my planner, chances are I'm going to forget to do something. This is especially true with Benedum assignments because we don't meet as often as all of my other classes. We might be told that something is due in three weeks and not meet again for four weeks so there isn't another reminder that it's due before the due date. So, I thought it was a good idea to get all of our assignments written down on one form where we can clearly see the due date.
-Listing all of my assignments (for all of my classes) on that one sheet was helpful because I could see how some assignments could relate to others, and it showed me when I'm busiest with assignments and when I had slower weeks.
-It made me sit down and really think about why I had certain goals in mind. Actually listing those goals on paper enabled my host teacher to see them and understand why I had them as goals. If they weren't written down, I might not have even brought them up in conversation with my mentor teacher.
Negatives:
-This assignment really stressed me out. At the beginning of each semester, I always go through my syllabi and write down all of my assignments in my planner. I then go back and do the same thing on my calendar in my room. Just this process stresses me out because I see everything that needs to be done each week and don't know how I'm going to get it all done. Now, to add another list all of the things I had to do and turning it into an assignment, I was even more stressed out because it was actually for a grade.
-I kind of used the plan in the beginning of the semester. My other blog post about it talked about how I was really behind on the goal dates due to snow days and days I was sick. Once we progressed farther into the semester I found that I didn't really use it at all. I kept a copy in my binder at UHS, but very rarely looked at it. I followed my planner and calendar at home to stay on track, because that's what I was used to doing and what I felt comfortable with.
-Since I make other schedules anyway, I found it annoying to have to make another one when I could have spent that time working on other assignments or lesson plans. I felt like it was almost busywork and not necessarily something that was created with the intention of helping us.
Overall, I think it could have been more helpful for someone who doesn't keep track of assignments in their own personal calendar, but since I already do that, it felt like it was just another thing I had to do.
I 100% agree with everything you said. I get so disorientated with these Education courses that I have to ask everyone else around me what's going on. However, I don't think we needed an assignment to clarify that-- even with the plan, we all still asked each other each week what was due on Friday. One nice thing that came out of the plan was the learning goals. I liked how you said it made you talk to your host teacher about some of the things you wanted to strive towards. I always think of questions I want to ask my host teacher outside of the classroom, or issues I want to discuss, but forget about them as soon as I walk into the classroom.
ReplyDeleteNicole